|by the publisher of|
Mother Earth News
I was in my favorite store the other day...Tractor Supply, and picked up a copy of Grit's Guide to Backyard Rabbits. This edition was chalked full with good info about rabbits. I particularly liked that they addressed most aspects of raising rabbits...pets, meat, fur, and show. They forgot the fiber aspect this time, but I won't be too hard on 'em...still lots of good stuff.
Some highlights from the magazine were:
- Raising rabbits for meat and breeding stock...lots of reasons why rabbits are a viable meat source, breeding tips, and a historical look at changes in our agriculture and food systems.
- Some scrumptious looking rabbit dishes with recipes.
- A look at meat rabbits on the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy's Rare Breeds List.
- Separating pets from meat...eating the animals you raise as a solution to today's food source concerns.
- Raising rabbits as livestock...a primer on rabbit care.
- DYI Rabbit Home and Equipment...nice housing plans for a wire cage, stand alone covered hutch, wire nestboxes, and a plan for stacking cages.
- How to make hay the old-fashioned way.
- The Rabbit House...rabbit colony living as a housing alternative.
- Bunny Love...a primer on pet rabbit care and a list of popular pet and show breeds.
- Handling garden pests...not just wild rabbits. This section includes plans for a humane trap.
- Professional rabbitry advice from a conservation breeder...this one focuses on meat rabbit production.
- How to tan rabbit hides, sew the fur, and find a market.
- An excerpt from Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits gives information about showing your rabbits.
- A review on classic rabbit literature...and an interesting story about President Jimmy Carter and a marsh rabbit.
The magazine ends with a list of resources for everything you need to raise the best bunnies for whatever reason you choose....available at a Tractor Supply near you. Good read!