Thursday, August 9, 2012

It's A Long Way To Wisconsin...But Worth Every Mile

1280 miles
Recently my daughter and I took a little trip north to Superior, Wisconsin to visit one of my mentors, Terri. Terri has an English Angora blog that has been very helpful to me as I learn.  I have talked to Terri many times about my Angora rabbits, but we have not had the pleasure of meeting in person.  She had a few rabbits for sale and I wished to check them out...and learn a bit more in the process. 

My family thought I was a bit nuts to drive that far to just look at rabbits, but it was much more than that.  We attended one of the Wisconsin shows (5 shows in weekend) and I got to see what shows are like for Angora folks in other parts of the country. Plus, I soaked up valuable stuff that I would have never gotten otherwise. 

Helping a new friend with her Himalayans
It was a real learning experience to watch Terri prep her rabbits for the show.  I have to say that she was just amazing... always unfrazzled amidst a whirlwind of activity.  I could only stand around awestruck.  I really appreciated that she took the time to teach me along the way, too. I learned a lot.

 I also got to meet some other really nice Angora folks with beautiful rabbits, Deb and her daughter Alicia...and also Pam, who taught me how to needle felt. Such nice people!  I felt very welcomed...and was so excited to share in their day. I wish I lived closer OR could teleport. 

I ended up with two more wonderful rabbits to add to my herd.  I picked up a black pearl junior buck for my pearl line herd sire and a senior REW doe.  Both bunnies are gorgeous.  Princess Grace is very nice, even clipped down.  

Our favorite rest area...in Iowa...so cute and very clean.
I did fall in love with one of Terri's REW bucks.  I just couldn't keep my eyes off of him. I thought I didn't like REWs, but after seeing a REW in full coat in real life...I see what all the fuss is about.  There is nothing like a big, glorious, white cloud of a rabbit...and not cirrus clouds either, but big puffy, crawl in and sleep cumulus clouds. Spectacular!  It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I wish I hadn't been to wrapped up in everything to take pictures during the show.  I was just too busy soaking everything in. I did brought home his mother, though. Maybe one day I'll get lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)