Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Central Texas RC Show Wrap Up

Kiera grooming pretty Chrissy
Boy was it hot on Saturday, but our Angoras had a fun filled day nevertheless! The Central Texas Rabbit Club show in Austin, TX was well-run as usual.  I got to see a lot of my Angora friends...  Danielle and her always beautiful children, Ricardo, Sasha, and Dana. Sasha's lovely English Angoras stayed home this time, but she and her mom brought their Satin Angoras.  There were plenty of Angoras represented ...10 English Angoras, 15 Satin Angoras, and 4 French Angoras. 

Here are the results:
 Show A (Judge Scott Weibensohn)
English Angora BOB - Brian Flading (Defiance's 3rd leg!)
English Angora BOS - Ricardo Gonzalez
French Angora BOB - Michael/Linda Franke
French Angora BOS - Michael/Linda Franke
Satin Angora BOB - Dana Faber
Satin Angora BOS - Dana Faber
 
Show B (Judge Gail Krall)
English Angora BOB - Brian Flading (Defiance again!)
English Angora BOS - Ricardo Gonzalez
French Angora BOB - Michael/Linda Franke
French Angora BOS - Michael/Linda Franke
Satin Angora BOB - Sasha McPherson
Satin Angora BOS - Sasha McPherson

Little Sun & Defiance in the coop
 I felt bad for Defiance's mama, Little Sun.  She came to the show as well and was quite pretty, but was unable to outshine her little girl.  Little Sun got some great comments for wool texture, density, and furnishings.  Her body type just doesn't quite measure up to Defiance, though.  Little Sun is a little long in the shoulder and ever so slightly pinched.  This was the first time they both were shown in a full coat and I could feel good about my decision to breed her to Cimmerian.  Defiance is an improvement over her parents and that is, after all, what it's all about.  I felt fortunate that Defiance got her mother's lovely wool and her father's nicer body type. 

Ricardo cooping his REWs
Other notes from the show included a lesson in using the blower from Ricardo. He has an amazing little Metro QuickDraw blower. I like it much better than my bulkier Metro AF Commander.  Ricardo also helped me learn how to deal with accidental show bunny spayings from cage neighbors and how to clean up your bun (without clipping the wool) if this ever happens...such useful info!  I also practiced feeling body type by putting my hands on almost every one of Ricardo's rabbits.  Thanks, Ricardo!

I also got to see a rabbit's teeth get clipped.  I had never seen that before and I have to say that my friend, Susan, is most skillful.  I hope she made that beautiful bunny a little more comfortable and her human mom's day a little brighter.  
 
Dana, Sasha, and Judge Scott
I must also note that all the judges this weekend gave interesting comments, but as an Angora breeder, Judge Scott was full of some extra useful information.  It was a pleasure to hear his comments and I can't say enough how much I learn every time I show my rabbits...so, if you don't show your rabbits, you don't know what you're missing!         

4 comments:

  1. Sorry I had to miss this show, but nice to read about it and see the pictures. Congrats on Defiance's 3rd leg!! That girl is just unstoppable! I would love to learn about Ricardo's tips. I picked up my new guys on Friday (woo hoo!)and the buck is a bit of a mess:-( The transporter felt bad because he dumped his water over, which I'm thinking may have caused him to soak up the contents of the tray beneath the wire as he was only about an inch above it. Anyway, things happen...but, yuck! I was hoping to show him next weekend. I've been slowly brushing out what I can without overwhelming him or me, lol, but it's very matted & clumped together with hay, urine, etc. I've started using a razor to cut out what I can't brush/comb out. I'm afraid at some point, though, I'm going to leave gaping holes.

    BTW, for some reason, I can't see your replies to comments. I see that there are 2 comments, for example, on a post, but can only see the original comment, not your reply to it. I've tried clicking on everything I can click on, Lol. I can see it if you post it as another comment, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We missed ya too. And, yep, Defiance is on a roll!..been very proud of her. Yay! You've got your bunnies! Have you got any cornstarch? You could sprinkle some of that into his wool and it will absorb a lot of the icky stuff in his coat. You can then blow it out if you happen to have a shop vac (with blower option) or a pet blower. If it's too bad, he might need the mats clipped. I wish you lived closer...I'd come help ya. When clipping the mats, try to cut perpendicular to his body...directly into the mat. The mat will comb out with less noticeable gaps. If worse comes to worse, his wool can always just grow back. But that's no fun if you'd like to show him. It would nice to get some comments on him. Do you have Skype? We could always Skype with your bunny to check out his wool...although that might make us offically bunny crazy lol.

    Yeah, I don't know what's up with the replies. I checked all my settings. I can't see any replies but mine. What good is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have cornstarch, so I used baking soda...hope that wasn't a no-no:-/ I ended up having to clip some of it out, unfortunately. Once I got into it, I realized that it was worse than I thought. I don't have Skype, but that sounds like a cool idea (we're already crazy bunny ladies - may as well go all in, lol). I'll play with it this weekend and maybe we can skype next week, if you have time? In the meantime, I'll PM you in FB on some pics I took of the really bad mats, so you can get an idea of what I'm working with. So wish we lived closer to one another, I'd love the help. Thanks for all of your invaluable advice though!

    Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with blogger lately. They've made some rather annoying changes. Like...where did the follow button go?? Now you have to copy/paste the other blog's URL into your reading list to follow someone. Their response is that they're "eliminating a rarely used feature" - really?? The follow button was rarely used...crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really haven't tried baking soda. Did it work well for you? Next time you head to the grocery store though, pick up a box of corn starch. That stuff is amazing! Sounds like you're on the right track clipping it out. At the show, Ricardo sprinkled it directly on the urine...rubbed the tips of the wool with his slicker brush...then blew it out with his pet blower. He said to focus on the tips (where the urine is) and not try to pour it deep in. He got to the show with a little bun whose neighbor had christened him and within a short time the bun was gorgeous! You're doing good work on your rabbit. He'll be a pretty boy in no time :)

    btw, Your buck is beautiful! Can't wait to see him when he's all prettied up :)

    Yep, silly blogger. They have been driving me nuts. I can't figure out what they're doing half the time. Really frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)