Friday, February 10, 2012

"The Nervous New Owner's Guide to Angora Rabbits" Book Review

The Nervous New Owner's Guide to
Angora Rabbits by Suzie Sugrue
I ran across this new resource for new Angora folks over the summer. I just had to order it. I liked it so much that I ordered a  batch to make available to new Angora bunny parents.

This book is a wonderful little Angora book that focuses on the fiber bunny.  It contains most of the basic information that I spent hours searching the internet for.  My DH would have probably rather just paid the $16 bucks, just to have all that time back...but I digress :)

The book covers all the basics of life with an Angora rabbit...housing, feeding, grooming, and health.  It also covers harvesting wool, storage, and a multitude of other Angora resources.

My favorite part of the book is the section telling yourself to be forgiving.  Having Angoras can be quite daunting if you've never done it before.  There's lots of sources out there that try to scare the dickens out of you grooming wise.  That's OK, though, because you want to be aware that these kinds of rabbits are different than most other breeds.  There is the extra element of grooming...and that should not to be taken lightly because neglect in this area will mean a painful life for your rabbit and possibly result in their death. Don't fret though...most people find that grooming their rabbits is a wonderfully relaxing activity.  I am glad to hear Suzie give solid recommendations like:

  • "spend the money necessary to obtain pedigreed rabbits from excellent stock" I can't say this enough.....don't skimp, don't skimp on good stock.  That doesn't mean spend a lot of money.  That means take the time to know breed standards...and what to look for.  It will pay off if you later decide to breed/show.  
  •   "Don't panic! [Mats are] not the mark of a delinquent owner" Like so many other things, matts happen.  It doesn't make you terrible...just comb/clip them out. But, be careful...excessive matting is a sign that your rabbit is molting. I will also note that excessive matting is painful to your rabbit's skin.  They feel better when all brushed out.  Don't be scared to ask for help. We've all been there.
  •  And her recommendation that it is OK to keep your angora in a safe place outdoors...although, for Texas buns, that's a bit tough, except for a few months of the year.  I recommend some sort of climate controlled area if you live in Texas.
Suzie also covers why it is best to wait a bit before you breed your angoras and all the different ways to hold your angora for grooming. Do you know what the football hold, the baby hold, and the ragdoll hold are?  Good stuff!

If you are interested in obtaining a copy of Suzie's book "The Nervous New Owner's Guide to Angoras" I do have copies available with me at the shows I attend for $15 a copy ($13 with rabbit purchase).  If you just want to preview a copy, I always bring mine to shows. You are welcome to flip through it to check it out...just ignore the highlighter and pencil marks.







4 comments:

  1. I love this book! I got it when I was deciding if I should show Angoras. That's a great idea to make it available at shows and to new owners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too!! We are hoping to spread the Angora love lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great review. Really gave me a nice sense of the book.

    The more I think/write about rabbits, the more I realize it takes sticking our necks out; and I'm thankful for the writers who just *do it*.

    (And thanks for stopping by my blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...that was the best compliment ever :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)