Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What color am I?


So I had this little mystery kit...

11 days old
3 days old

Cooperative bunny
Sorry...doing this one-handed.  
15 Days Old
 who has sable, smoke pearl, lilac pearl, REW, a variety of torts and an assortment of self colors in her pedigree.

Dam is lilac tort.
Sire is black.

I have asked my buddies, asked my FB friends (the English Angora ones), and posted on Rabbit_Genetics group.  I have one answer for almost every possibility so far...that pesky C locus!  I originally wanted to focus on blacks, but I am liking the puzzle (and the color) so far.

I'm not the best photographer so I've started over from scratch and took more pics with a black background and full spectrum lighting.

I thought it was a lilac pearl at first.  I had it on some mighty good authority that it looks like chocolate pearl (depending on camera lighting), but there were some pretty knowledgeable votes for lilac tort as well.  In real life, the kit's body was not really orangey-beige enough for lilac tort, though.  BUT, it does have chinchilla light in its background so pearl was a real possibility.  I thought the kit was one of the pearls (angora term for sable point)...I just was not sure which one.  Rats!  So I had to wait for it to grow a bit.
     
So...after Terri on the FB English Angora Breeders page passed along this great kit color ID site...
Northeast Lionhead Kit Color Guide Plus
and checking out this link about a similarly colored angora on another web site Wenut Angoras Kit Lilac Point/Cream, I think we've finally got it.

THE VERDICT:  
CHOCOLATE PEARL! ....OK, I was really a LILAC PEARL...go figure :)



4 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never seen a chocolate pearl, just beautiful!

    I just now found that you had a blog...:-) I will add you to my list. Were you at Cleburne this past weekend? I didn't realize you were here in Tx! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was at Cleburne...freezing to death haha! I think I might have talked to you...if you were there with your Dwarf Hotots. I can't resist checking out those cute little things any time I am at a show. I was only there for a bit trying to get my chocolate EA registered. I'm sure we'll run into each other at the shows! I'll look for ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That was you!! I'm just now putting the two together-I remember you said you brought an Angora for registration. Sorry if I didn't chat much, my sister and I were both freezing too. I was a bit overwhelmed too..it was the first show in 11 years so I was just taking it all in. I hope to chat with you more at the next show. I don't know if we'll be going to Waxahachie yet, but that heated barn sure does sound better than Cleburnes.;-) Hope your babies are doing well. I love baby pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's OK. I didn't put things together until much later either. I think my brain was too frozen...but I did have fun at the show :). I'll be around at the shows this coming year. Look forward to seeing you guys again! .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)