Sunday, February 12, 2012

Victoria Livestock Show WrapUp...and a Sneak Preview

Judge Ken has the honors for Show A...
Ricardo and I cooping our rabbits
I have a fabulous time at this weekend's Victoria Livestock Show.  I was sooo excited to see the Angora breeds well represented.  That was the most I had seen at a Texas open show. There were at least 5 exhibitors with 13 (8 EA, 5 SA)...count 'em 13 beautiful Angora rabbits.

As far as EA folks, I got to see Danielle and her girls again.  Their REW girl, Chrissy, was looking beautiful as always.  Danielle's girls had a precious little chocolate junior buck as well.  
Sasha came with her stellar REW, Indy...who won his junior class at the ARBA 2011 Convention in...you guessed it, Indy :)  She had some a couple of her beautiful does, chocolate Stormy and lilac Bunny Foo Foo. 

Ricardo came down with his wonderful REW girl as well.  He shared some wonderful advice about breeding for convention that completely (and happily) changed my upcoming plans...so thanks, Ricardo!

Dana also brought some gorgeous Satin Angoras that...when they weren't trying to sell themselves right out from under her...showed quality breeding.  Of course, she brought my "bunny crush" obsession, Romeo,and some outstanding juniors.
Beautiful Angoras... as far as the eye can see.

I bought Cimmerian (although not in full coat) and my hubby's junior lilac pearl doe, Defiance. Mr. Biggles came along for the ride.  I brought him so Sasha could put her hands on him.  I want to start a broken EA line with Mr. B as the herd buck.  As suspected, Mr. Biggles is worthy of such a task.  I've just got to find the right doe.

Sasha gave us a pencil drafting lesson.  We all sat on the floor in Danielle's area and watched Sasha turn Chrissy's white fluff into beautiful angora yarn.  I can't wait to try what she taught us...maybe that Hershey scarf wouldn't seem like such a far off project :)

Ricardo passed on some of his grooming knowledge while we watched him trim up a bunny.  I got another grooming tool idea from Sasha and Dana reminded me of a fantastic anti-static Angora tip learned at Convention.  DH was kind enough to go to the store and pick some up for us for Show B.   Yay, for no fly-away haired bunnies!

Here's the show results:
Show A
English Angora BOB - Sasha M.  REW Buck
English Angora BOS - Danielle N. REW Doe
Satin Angora BOB - Dana F. Red Buck
Satin Angora BOS - Dana F. Tortoiseshell Doe


Show B
English Angora BOB - Ricardo G.  REW Doe
English Angora BOS - Sasha M. REW Buck
Satin Angora BOB - Dana F. Red Buck
Satin Angora BOS - Dana F. Tortoiseshell Doe

We made a nice crowd at the judging table.
Great job, everyone!  It was so nice to see so many fine animals representing our breeds. On a side note, I was so pleased that Defiance won her class in Show A.  I am excited to see how she develops when she's old enough to compete with the big girls.  Cimmerian got BOV in Show A. Sasha's lilac doe won BOV in Show B, but there was no beating the REWs today...very fine rabbits :)







Anyhow, I had sooo much fun!   BUT the most exciting news was the organization of an new club.  We've decided to share our Angora fun with the world (or at least Texas...which for Texans, IS the world) and form the...
 Texas Angora Rabbit Club!!
...an Angora club for all Texas Angora fans...show, fiber, or companion animals!  It's an exciting time for us Angora folks.  I'll have more details in another post, but I couldn't completely keep a lid on it.  If you are interested in staying up to date in our development process, please contact me at: thekelflaproject (at) gmail.com. We'll will put you on the email list for TARC so you can be kept up to date about information such as our organizational meeting, educational workshops, etc. Of course, I'll be posting info here as well. Shortly, we'll have our TARC blog where you can follow as well.  But beware......Angoras are addicting ;)

Oh, yes.  I definitely have some work to do for my show polls.  Completely my fault.  I waited super late to post it due to my own silly illness.  Many thanks to those who took the time to answer it :) I'll get on the ball for the next one!
    

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an awesome time at the show. Congrats on Cimmerian's win! We didn't stay long - had sort of an off day. I look forward to seeing more about the new club as things develop. Very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a blast! Glad to hear that you went...I wandered about looking for ya for a bit, but no luck :) Hope to see ya at one of the other shows...my daughter has a "lop" crush :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...javascript:void(0)